We talk a lot, and rightly so, about what God expects of us. There are some things also that we can expect of God.
In fact this is why we work hard and struggle, because we have set our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of believers.
1 Timothy 4.10 NET
What does it mean to set our hope on God? Among other things, it means that there are things we can expect from him. Among those things we can expect from him are these:
- To be true to himself and his nature.
- To fulfill his promises.
- To protect and defend his own.
- To provide us what we need, when we need it.
- To discipline us and prepare us for the eternal home.
- To judge everyone at the last day according to his actions.
- To allow us to suffer for the gospel, as a part of Christ’s sufferings.
- To work toward the salvation of all people.
- To hear us when we pray as his obedient children.
- To make right win in the end.
We might disappoint God at some point, but God will never disappoint those who wait in him. If we’re disappointed with God, it means our expectations are improper or out of sync with his purpose.
Feel free to add verses in the comments area that illustrate these things about God.
In you we set our hope, O living God, who in your holiness would draw us to your side.
Hold this thought: God still was God, last time I checked, / To be himself we can expect.