I’m looking for verses that mention selfishness and biblical examples of it.
Here are some I thought of off the top of my head.
- Philippians 2:21 — “Everyone else looks out for himself — not for the things of Jesus Christ” (PEB), speaking of Timothy’s selflessness;
- 2 Timothy 3:2 — “People will be selfish, …” — heads the list of sins, must be a reason for that;
- The Greek term eritheia is often translated as “selfish ambition.” In James 3:16 NET puts it as selfisness, NKJV as self-seeking;
- I’d add James 4:3 as well, but don’t want to add the whole list of those who act by their own desires or lusts;
- NASB tells us not to “eat the bread of a selfish man” (Prov 23:6).
What other verses or examples can you cite?