Neal Pollard included this prayer list, written by Rachel Wilkie, in his Daily Bread email Tuesday.
Though the elections are over, this prayer list is still more than appropriate for us today.
- Pray that God will turn people’s hearts toward himself, and that he will be glorified in the outcome of the upcoming election.
- Pray that God’s people will demonstrate a spirit of repentance and prayer — individually and corporately (2 Chronicles 7:14).
- Pray that God will raise up righteous leaders who will model integrity and authenticity (Ephesians 4:1-2; Proverbs 14:34).
- Pray that Americans will see their spiritual poverty; that our nation’s citizens will awaken to their great spiritual need (Joel 3:12).
- Pray that godly men and women will be placed in positions of authority so that God’s people can rejoice (Proverbs 29:2).
- Pray that leaders we elect will be just, fear God rather than men and depart from evil (2 Samuel 23:3; Proverbs 1:7; 14:26; 16:6).
- Pray that citizens will seek wise leaders who listen to biblical counsel (Proverbs 1:3-5).
- Pray that citizens will vote with wisdom and discretion (Proverbs 3:21b).
- Pray that people will be able to see truth, that error will be exposed, and that people with wicked agendas will be made weak (Psalm 86:11; Proverbs 25:5).
- Pray that Christians will speak the truth, but in love, concerning those running for office (Ephesians 4:15).
- Pray that Christians will avoid negativity, fault-finding, and contentiousness, but instead, will stand out as God’s loving, pure children (Philippians 2:14-15).
- Pray for truth in the media (Proverbs 12:22).
- Pray that Christians will put their confidence in God, rather than in any political candidate (Psalm 118:8-9).
- Pray that Christians will look to God to overcome the enemies of truth and righteousness (Psalm 60:11-12).
- Pray that those who love righteousness and truth will fulfill their responsibility to vote (Matthew 22:21).
- Pray that God will work through leaders to keep the doors open for his Gospel to be proclaimed (Colossians 4:3a).
- Pray for God’s will to be accomplished in the elections (Psalm 33:11; 103:19; 115:3).