I’m considering a series of sermons (in Portuguese, of course) called “Our Best-known Bible Passages.” But I need help.
The idea is to take those passages of Scripture we know best and use the most and give them a fresh look.
But which passages should be chosen? I don’t have many yet.
- Matthew 16:13-19. Very basic text for us, isn’t it?
- John 3:16. Yeah, here in Brazil, too. Though when I traveled to Recife week before last, the brother who filled in for me used this text.
- John 4:24. Jumping off passage for a lot of principles about worship.
- Acts 2:37-38. No comment needed. Romans 6 is also high on the list, but I don’t want the series to be about baptism.
- 1 Corinthians 11:23-26. Brazilian churches have a devotional thought before the Lord’s supper and Christians’ Bibles fall open at this passage since it’s so used at this time.
- Revelation 22:18-19. Or 1 Cor. 4:6, but probably the former is more commonly used.
What other passages should go on the list? Please comment below, and as I read convincing suggestions, I’ll add them above.