Eugene Peterson wrote that “all Christian service involves urgency.” (Quote from my reading.) Indeed, so. David Hersey, in his article, “Salvation Is,” says salvation is urgent, quoting Hebrews 3:7 and 2 Corinthians 6:2. People step into eternity every day, never to look back, never to return, never to have an opportunity, for once the door to time and space and earth closes behind, destiny is sealed. All service in the kingdom of God is urgent, because all is tied to our spiritual status before God. That’s why we often link to and recommend our little online study.
• The urgency and seriousness of the Christian enterprise doesn’t mean one can’t enjoy the light-hearted side of life. One can’t be intense all the time.
• Do people need to know about the church before conversion? I’m with Joy Jensen on this one:
Zawadi used to be a follower of Islam, but was contacted and taught during a campaign last fall, at which time she was “taught” and then baptized. I have to be honest with you – I am disturbed. I know that there has been disagreement and debate among brethren concerning what a person must know in order to be genuinely converted and perhaps there is some room for judgment. However, I simply cannot accept the fact that a person can be added to the Lord’s church, while at the same time, they have no idea what the Lord’s church is. Unfortunately, this is not a rare incident.
• Why do we say a dog-eat-dog world? I’ve seen dogs fight, but never devour each other. Watching our aquarium, we might better say it’s a fish-gulp-fish world.
• On childrearing, advice from a 17th-century widowed Jewish mother to her 12 children:
“Moreover, put aside a fixed time for the study of the Torah, as best you know how. Then diligently go about your business, for providing for your wife and children a decent livelihood is likewise a mitzvah — the command of God and the duty of man. We should, I say, put ourselves to great pains for our children, for on this the world is built, …” (The Memoirs of Glückel of Hameln)
She seems to understand the priorities, doesn’t she? Besides providing for them after the death of her husband, she wrote them a book.
• Speaking of dogs. After scientists discovered that Pluto is not actually a planet, they have now discovered that poodles are not actually canines, but an extra-terrestrial bacterial life form.