As impressive as it is, the human mind is extremely limited. In recent years, man has sought to understand better the mind. One hears frequently how it has such a huge, unused potential. But how we are easily distracted! How quickly the mind forgets! How many things escape its notice!
Aren’t two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
Matthew 10.29 NET
Nothing escapes God. He sees and controls all.
- The context of this verse is the sending of the Twelve to preach the Good News. The principles of the limited commission apply to the Great Commission. If we give priority to God’s work, he will give priority to caring for us.
- The contrast of the verse with v. 28 does not clash in the ears of Jesus: “fear the one who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” We must balance the fear of destruction by God with his love as Father. These are two essential truths about God that we must take into account.
- The argument of the verse is from the lesser to the greater. If Father God cares for that which is less important, in his great divine plan, certainly he will care for those — his children — who are most important to him, v. 30.
- The framing of this verse is familial. God is Father. We are children in his family. His fatherhood indicates the divine love and his loving care of us. If he includes us in his great mission, certainly he will give us what we need to fulfill it and will protect us in carrying it out.
- The objective of this verse is to inspire confidence in God, so that the disciples may fulfill the mission. “So do not be afraid” v. 31. Thus, we will not be afraid of our adversaries, v. 26. Here we have every motivation needed to dedicate ourselves body and soul to his work.
- The field of activity of this verse is the will and omniscience of God. Nothing happens without him knowing. God takes care of the minutest details. The phrase is literally, “without your Father.” The biblical versions added several terms in order to clarify: will, consent, permission, knowing. The field of activity is the Godhead himself. God knows, guides, supervises, protects, provides.