This Twitter quote about writing got me to thinking about the writers, and about us the readers, of Scripture: “I love writing that allows for many things to happen at once…”
When we read the word of God with an open heart and mind, Scripture allows many things to happen at once.
- It allows the mind to be changed and guided.
- It allows for the heart to be transformed and conformed to God.
- It allows for the will to be decisive and fixed upon God’s will.
- It allows for the body to be given over as a living sacrifice.
- It allows for God’s Spirit to have his way.
But when we are closed to letting happen to us the sacred writings and to permitting the Scripture to re-form us, none of that can happen. So this is one of Jesus’ saddest statements:
Jesus answered them, “You are deceived, because you don’t know the scriptures or the power of God.” Matthew 22.29.
When we are closed to Scripture, we are closed to its power. The Bible becomes a dead document to us. Nothing happens during a reading of its content.
Let us ask God to do his powerful work in us whenever we approach his word.