Following is an outline by Dr. Dowell Flatt, for a class given at a spiritual growth retreat sponsored through Freed-Hardeman University in February 1979.
The retreat was one of the first events Vicki and I attended as a newly engaged couple.
Text in brackets [ ] indicate additional notes of mine made during Dr. Flatt’s presentation.
Suggestions for a Better Prayer Life
Dr. Dowell Flatt
- All Christian readily see importance of prayer.
- Luke 18:1; Acts 2:42; 1 Thess. 5:17; [Lk 11:1]
- Too many have received little help in improving their prayer lives.
A. Time [patten of time] Eph. 5:16 = Col. 4:5 [Dan. 6:10, three times a day]
Ill. Have to study Greek daily
B. Place (Set place valuable) Jn. 18:2
C. Privacy — Matt. 14:23; Lk. 5:16 [Matt. 6:6]
- Non-Christian experience
- What I am Vs. What I ought and will be with His help.
- Reaching for a higher plane.
- Thinking on spiritual things. Ps. 37:7; 46:10 – Lk 2:19
III. Submission [absolute, ultimate, total surrender]
A. Following will of Son Jn 14:13-14; Mat. 26:39-44
- “In Jesus name” more than a sign-off, magical formula.
- “In Jesus name” is according to character of Jesus.
B. Abiding in Son
Note: Greek indicates constant abiding.
C. Bearing Fruit in Son – Jn. 15:8, 16
Note: Asking that ends in talking likely is just talking.
D. Knowing Father and Son – Jn. 17:3
Ill. Too many have only slight acquaintance with God.
They might reply concerning their knowledge of Him, “Yes, I know Him, but not personally.”
IV. Trust – Heb. 11:6; Jn 11:41-42; Titus 1:2
- It takes real effort to develop a life of prayer.
- The effort will be rewarded both here and in the hereafter.