During the series of sermons on revisiting well-known Bible passages, I’m taking the following approach in TaubatÃ©.
- Pay attention to the context. What does the flow of thought from the passage contribute to its understanding? How does the pericope fit into the book?
- Correct any misuses of the passages.
- Praise those proper emphases of passages that have been made.
- Apply the passages to the needs of the church in TaubatÃ©.
This quarter I have been gone two Sundays (US trip), so that pared me down to 11 sermons. Here are the passages I chose and still plan to develop. (I’m ready for #9 next Sunday.)
- Rev. 2:10
- Josh. 24:14-27 (esp. vv. 14-15)
- Acts 2:36-47 (esp. v. 38)
- John 3:10-21 (esp. v. 16)
- Mark 12:28-34
- Luke 17:1-10
- Matt. 7:13-29 (esp. v. 21)
- 1 Pet. 3:17-22
- 1 Cor. 11:17-32 (esp. vv. 23-28)
- John 4:24
- Eph. 4:1-6
I’m grateful to those who made suggestions earlier on the Bible texts.