1 Peter is one of my favorite books. Hence I appreciate this article by Neal. It came by email, but his Daily Bread site is here:
FOURTEEN BEAUTIFUL TRAITS OF SALVATION FROM 1 PETER 1
Salvation is described intensively as “so great” (Heb. 2:3). It is as mighty and great as the spiritual death from which we were delivered (cf. 2 Cor. 1:10). It is eternal (Heb. 5:9). It is brought by grace (Tit. 2:11). It is offered by the Lord’s perfect patience (2 Pet. 3:15). In his first epistle Peter encourages suffering Christians, whom he calls to be holy, to embrace and concentrate on the blessings of salvation. Children of God enduring grief and suffering wrongfully only because they professed Christ (cf. 1 Pet. 2:9) were assured by Peter that salvation transcended any problem or hardship. In just the first chapter, Peter gives us at least fourteen reasons why salvation is so wonderful.
1) IT IS MADE POSSIBLE BY GOD’S ABUNDANT MERCY (3). God is the source of salvation and provided it because of a tender feeling for us.
2) IT IS EFFECTED BY CHRIST’S RESURRECTION (3). God, through Christ, paid the heavy cost through Calvary and Christ’s victory over death opens the door to salvation.
3) IT IS ACCOMPANIED BY AN INHERITANCE (4). Salvation brings something more precious and infinitely more enduring than gold.
4) IT KEEPS THE FAITHFUL SAINTS (5). It keeps us when the ups come and when the downs come, if we abide in Him.
5) IT CAUSES GREAT JOY (6). There is no better, peace-filled, or triumphant feeling than knowing we are forgiven by God.
6) IT IS OFTEN ACCOMPANIED BY TRIAL (6-8). Yet, this is not inherently negative since we grow and develop through these while holding on to hope.
7) IT IS THE FULFILLMENT OF GREAT ANTICIPATION (10-12). What prophets yearned to see was fulfilled in Christ’s redemptive work at Calvary.
8) IT IS TO BE BROUGHT AT THE REVELATION OF CHRIST (13). Faith will some day be lost in heavenly sight!
9) IT MOTIVATES A CHANGE OF BEHAVIOR (14-16). I am made holy to be holy, thus attracting the honest-hearted to the way of salvation, too.
10) IT IS OFFERED BY THE FATHER (17). He is the perfect judge who will impartially give salvation to all who truly come to Him.
11) IT IS SPECIAL (18-21). It cannot be purchased with material things; however, it does cause faith and focus upon God instead of all else.
12) IT COMES THROUGH OBEDIENCE (22). There are no riddles to decipher and no impossible, daring feats to perform.
13) IT CAUSES FERVENT LOVE FOR OTHER SAINTS (23). Salvation is the blessed tie that binds the hearts of Christians.
14) IT IS SYNONYMOUS WITH THE NEW BIRTH (23-25). Salvation is a fresh start, a new life, and a better heritage.
“How thankful we should be ever be
That salvation is so full and free
How great the everlasting love
Of the gracious Father up above.
What wondrous blessings ever flow
From the Savior pure as snow.
With the ransomed always sing,
To great salvation always cling!”